Friday 23 January 2015

Test Prints...fairly successful I think

So as the large embossed prints below took so long to print without a press I decided to do some small ones to work out colours and composition.  Really pleased and excited with them.


So first off I traced the outline of a gorgeous piece of seaweed and made the cutout as explained earlier and then rolled out the luscious greeny grey ink for the background.  Once this was dry I soaked the paper and then blind embossed by hand without the press.  I have used Fabriano 5/5 and somerset satin white to see which worked best.

The next step will be to do a seaweed drawing which will be placed towards the top of the print.


2 comments:

Olga Norris said...

Definitely liking it so far, and love the colours you have chosen. Are you going to put this out for the wind to work its magic? I think of you in Cromarty every time I see the weather forecast. Brrr.

I'm intrigued by your blind embossing using a scrubbing brush! Do you brush the dampened paper into a plate - is it a woodcut, or a solar plate?

Sue Corr said...

Thanks Olga, yes that is the next step, out in the wind when the speed is right.

Yes I damp the paper, lay on the woodcut then cover with a couple of layers of tissue paper and first off gently smooth in with a softish brush, then towards the end beat it a few times with a harder brush. Quite good if you are in need of releasing pent up feelings!